Sunday, April 30, 2006

Germanfest Bike Rally

Yesterday I did the Germanfest Bike Rally in Muenster, TX with the Wild Stallions (the bike team I ride with). I had registered for the 100k course, but ended up doing the 65k. The ride started off rainy, windy, and very slow. About 5 miles into it the rain started to clear up and the sun came out. The wind remained. The course was also very hilly. Very challenging. I did this ride last year and I don't remember it being so hilly. I am disappointed I didn't get the 100k in, but I made a conscious decision to turn off at the 65/100k split because I wanted to just enjoy the ride, not kill myself. Also, no excuse, but I do have a sprint tri next weekend and I want to make sure I have a full recovery to be fresh for that.

On the way to Muenster and on the ride course there were remnants of tornado damage from a severe storm that went through the night before. Here are a couple pics of the damage.

Check out this uprooted tree...it must have been carried pretty far because I don't see the hole in the ground where it came from.




Canopies ripped off their frames at a car dealer.


This picture is not the best, but it is a barn and house with roofs partially torn off and debris spread over the property.

Today I feel good, although I can definitely tell I did a challenging 41 miles yesterday. Forty-one miles is not the farthest I've ridden this season either, but yesterday was by far the most challenging 41 miles I've ridden this season thanks to the hills and major wind. It was some great training.

Elizabeth (Epigirl) was supposed to do the rally yesterday too, but she got stuck in a major traffic jam on the way to Muenster from Fort Worth and was late so she just tooled around town with her friend on their bikes. I had forgotten my cell phone, so I went the whole rally wondering where in the heck she was. When I finished I found her at the local biergarden enjoying a fine brew!

All in all, it wasn't my favorite rally, but I'd do it again (in hopes the weather would be better). Maybe next year I'll be able to get the 100k in!

I'll try to post some group pics that were taken on a friend's camera once I receive them. That's all for now...

No comments: