Monday, May 12, 2008

Help! Need Advice....

I know I have 4 months to figure this out, but I thought it would be good to start early. I have to start figuring out the logistics of getting myself and bike from Iowa to Canada for the Ironman Muskoka 70.3 on Sept 14th. Mainly, I am concerned about how to get my bike there. I am 90% sure I'm going to fly and I've never flown with my bike, I've always just driven to races. According to google it would take 13.5 hours to drive. It kind of depends on what my school schedule looks like whether or not it would even be feasible time wise to make the road trip.

Anyway, I am in need of advice/experiences/recommendations: If I fly should I a) take my bike with me on the plane or b) ship it from my LBS to a LBS in Canada. Any stories, experiences you can share? Also, does anyone have experience flying with a bike or shipping a bike across countries? How about bike boxes? Where can I get one/rent one?

Should I drive or fly? Would it be worth it to suck it up and do the driving?

One more thing...I am considering doing a local sprint tri the weekend after I get back from Muskoka, so I would want to make sure I could get my bike back within 5 days or so after the race. Is that feasible if I ship it?
So, to sum it up, please share your experiences/advice about traveling with bikes when flying.

Thanks!

5 comments:

liz said...

my friend bought a bike case (very expensive) and checked it into the flight as a normal piece of luggage when he went to Hawaii. however, bike shops can package it for you. the only problem would be putting it together once you get to Canada, but i'm sure you'll have no problems with that. putting bikes together is quite easy and i'm sure the shop can give you some basic instructions. it cost my friend about $75 extra to take the bike on the plane with him.

i have another friend who shipped it ahead of time and the bike didn't make it to where he was until it was almost time for him to leave, but that's just ONE bad experience i know about.

let me know if you want me to ask them any other questions and good luck !

Anonymous said...

Probably the cheapest way would be to have your LBS dis asemble the bike and pack it in a box, they use the same ones new bikes come in. You can either check it as oversized luggage or ship it, depending on your finances and schedule. Write down or make marks on your stem, seat post, bar angles and such. (ex use a dot of nail polish to line up bars, tape for seatpost height, etc) Take lots of pics with a digital camera so you know how to put it together and also take it apart at the event.

Take your seat, shoes and pedals in your carryone luggage. Your seat, and your shoes and pedals. In case you need to rent a bike for the race you at least know your bum will be comfy AND you will be familiar with the feel of the pedals.

If you can rent a hard case that is really the best, but they are $$$ to buy. I would just check it in a good OEM box and insure it for enough to replace the bike at home plus rent a good one for the race should the airline destroy or lose yours. (BTW insurance with your airline virtually guarantees your bike will arive primo).

If you can limit all your bags to a carryon plus your bike you shouldn't be out too much $.


Shipping is just a logistics nightmare, IMO, and $$$ going international.

Good luck...

Anonymous said...

Forgot, in addition to the marks if you decide to do that, make sure you have some way to set up a new bike if you need to rent. Going through the trouble to fly there, you are going to want to race regardless, and you want to be comfortable for 1/2 Iron distance. It isn't your bike so prolly your race is going to be weaker than normal (or you rent a 5000$ machine and kick @$$), but at least you won't blow up and destroy your body for the run...

Anonymous said...

Cara, you should have no problems traveling on the plane with it.
I just returned from Vancouver World Tri Championships.
Get to the Airport very early , the luggage should be a first come first served.
I live near the Muskoka race site and there are a couple of good bike shops in town.
there will also likely be a bike service at the resort, whitch is very large.

Cara said...

Thanks for all the advice guys!!