Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The sacrifices we make




So, it's T minus 3 days until the marathon! I can't believe it. The 18 weeks of training have truly flown by. Hopefully I'm not grossing anyone out, but I wanted to share a couple sacrifices I made in order to get to race day....the loss of 2 toenails (the second toe on each foot). Both of these nails fell off after blisters formed underneath the toenails. The strange thing is, neither toe hurt at any point, it was just silent blister formation and then bye-bye toenail. Hmm. My feet are in pretty bad shape, but they were not too pretty to begin with. It's hard to maintain beautiful feet when you're constantly pounding on them. I don't mind. :) I love endurance sports!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Nice Cara! I think that makes you hard core. PS I put some pregnancy stuff on my blog for you to check out. Nothing personal... =0) Just stuff from the last show.

Anonymous said...

EW GROSS!!

Haha, gross feet are the sign of a real endurance athlete. Wear sandals this summer and be proud. :-)

SixTwoThree said...

Oh my gosh, the same thing happened to me this year. But I was too mortified to post anything about it. Second toe on the righ, pinky toe on the left. Sandle season won't be pretty this year! I do plan to improve my endurance and times though :-)

TRI Vortex said...

My wife's toe just pop off, except she was wearing some puma's and ran. They weren't a good fit and the pressure pulled the nail out. She didn't notice untill she went to get her nails done and the lady said that the nail was broken. Then a few days later...POP! Weird, no pain.