Sunday, July 23, 2006

Arrived alive...

Well, Elizbeth and I made it home safe and sound from our long long road trip to AZ. We had a great time racing on Sunday and checking out the Grand Canyon and other monuments/sites along the way.

We will have full coverage of the race on our next show, but for now here's a short report:

This was an oly held in Flagstaff, AZ on July 16th called the Mountain Man. The altitude is ~7000ft, which is 6500 ft higher than I'm used to here in Dallas.

There were also sprint and half distances offered. It was a relatively small race, there were about 450 competitors combined for all 3 race categories.

Swim-- 1500m
Did this in 38:22, which is 2:33 per 100m. I usually average around 2:10 per 100m, so this is a little slow for me. I did feel altitude effects in the 1st couple minutes though, so I tried to just do the swim slow and steady.

Bike-- 40k
My time was 1:25:42, which is 17.4 mph. This course was flat except for 3 major hills. It was an out and back course. I was a little disappointed with this time, b/c cycling is my strength, but I was actually 2nd in my AG with that time.

Run-- 10k, with a super steep part about 1.5 miles into it.
This was more a run/walk, unfortunately. I really ran into a wall -- not muscle fatigue, but just couldn't get enough oxygen. To my surprise there were tons of people walking the run course, esp. the really hilly part. I have never seen so many walkers in a triathlon and I wasn't even in the back of the pack. My time was 1:16:04, for a pace of 12:14 min/mile. Pretty darn sad. lol

Overall time: 3:23:37
This put me 5th in my AG out of 9, surprisingly. This was a very challenging course, esp. b/c I'm not used to such a high altitude.

I'm planning to do another oly this season to attempt to redeem myself. I am really glad I did this event to challenge myself and also to experience racing at high alt.

That's all for now...


Finally crossing the finish line!!

3 comments:

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Despite the altitude it looks like you had a good performance. Congrats on digging deep and pushing yourself.

Stay tuned...

(103 days to my first IM)

liz said...

sounds like you had a great race despite the altitude. 5th in your age group is very impressive. i wish you the best on your next race !

Elizabeth said...

Nice report! Way to go! I'm so excited that you did so well even at such altitudes! Freakin' rockstar, sista! I'll be at the next tri when we slaughter our times! Can't wait! =)