Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Finally....a diagnosis...and the journey continues


Well, I finally got my long awaited diagnosis for my knee. Turns out I have illiotibial-band syndrome (ITBS) and possibly patellar tendinitis. Not surprising, as this was my first guess of what was wrong. So, now I've been prescribed PT. Have yet to schedule it-- waiting to hear back from the place-- but I'm supposed to go to PT for 4-6 weeks and probably start running a little in 3-4 weeks. As weird as this may sound, I was actually kind of depressed when I received this news. I think it was because this diagnosis was so anticlimactic. I guess I was in a way hoping for some grandiose thing-- a better excuse for me being out of the running circuit for 8 weeks! I may be going through Kubler-Ross' stages of grief:

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

This means I only have one more stage to go. I guess that's a good sign. :) I guess, if all goes well I should be back running in plenty of time for tri season. In the meantime I just have to work on remaining optimistic!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Ouch. That is what happened to me last summer, dead in the middle of the season.

At least you got it early! Take care of yourself! Do lots of stretching and you should be good as new in no time. I also bought a foam roller that helped out a lot too. It hurts, but really stretches the IT band out.

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Injuries just plain stink. It's time to move on to the next stage and focus on the recovery beyond, eh?

My vote is for Lake Placid because:

1) It's close (relatively) to your home.
2) Because it's close, you could have a couple of chances to train on the course.
3) A mid-season Ironman gives you time to train up for it, considering the possibility of a prolonged 2008-2009 winter.

Stay tuned...

SixTwoThree said...

Hey, I finally just got over mine! There's hope. The ITB strap from Cho-pat kept me running for months. Acupuncture over the relief I needed to not feel it at all during the marathon. But the real cure ended up getting to the root of the problem – weakness on my left side cause my right ITB to overcompensate. My guy recommended doing step ups on a crate. (I opted for a faux leather storage ottoman from Target to hide all my workout stuff.) Then he noticed something even bigger when I was riding. I had a tendency to point my right knee out while peddling. Bad for the ITB! Now I keep that knee in. No pain. I assumed running caused the ITB. HA!!

SM said...

Good luck with the PT. I have one week of PT to go and should be running in a week. PT works!