Wednesday, June 14, 2006

My Turkish Carpet


Don, one of the Canadian guys we met in Cappadocia recommended a carpet shop in Selcuk called Black Sheep Carpets (he had bought a carpet from them a few days earlier when he passed through Selcuk). I wasn't planning on purchasing a carpet, but when Mary bought hers in Istanbul I nearly purchased one as well, but was able to hold off. Then, after Don talked up Black Sheep Carpets I figured I'd check out the shop in Selcuk when we arrived there. I ended up getting hooked on one and couldn't pass it up. I especially loved it because it was unlike any of the other carpets I had seen and they said it is nearly 100 years old (not sure how much I believe that, but I still think it is cool). It is wool on cotton and from Elazig, which is in the Eastern part of Turkey. The carpet shop guys, Erkan and Mehmet, were also very cool so we sat and chatted with them for quite some time. Funny thing...Erkan has an aunt who lives in Bettendorf, Iowa, which is approximately 10 miles from where I grew up. What a small world!

It was totally worth the hassle of lugging it around for the rest of our trip because it looks perfect in my living room in front of my couch even though I had no idea where I was going to put it when I bought it.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Wow, that Don guy must be a smart one! Nice carpet!