Monday, October 01, 2007

HIM Race Report and Show 29 In Transit

Hey all-- Show 29 of In Transit is up and ready for your listening pleasure.

Here's my half ironman race report:
What: Nutmeg HIM (1.2 mi swim/56 mi bike/13.1 mi run)
When: 23SEP07 @ 7am
Where: Lake Waramaug, New Preston, CT

Pre-event: I chose this course b/c I wanted to do a half that was close to home and at the end of the season. So, I narrowed it down to this one or the Extrememan. I mostly chose this one b/c I liked the sounds of the lake swim over the sound swim. I rode the bike course twice prior to the race and drove the run course. I made the decision to change my gearing, based on how the pre-rides went (i.e. major major hills). Thankfully, my friend Joe graciously let me borrow his compact crank set, which I believe made a pretty big difference-- maybe not in my speed, but in terms of not burning up on the bike and having something left for the run. I had also done the Nutmeg Sprint, so I had a pretty good idea of how the swim and transition areas would be set up since the race was run by the same people. Race morning: Had a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast. I meant to have a gel before leaving the hotel and then ~ 10 minutes before race start, but both those totally slipped my mind until I was in the middle of the swim.

Swim-- 38:48
I couldn't get into a good rhythm until about 2-3 bouys in. It wasn't my best swim, but I got through it and didn't go off course, so I was happy.

T1-- 3:23
Not the fastest for me, but wanted to make sure I definitely had everything set for the rigorous bike course ahead.

Bike-- 3:55:11
This was just over 14mph. Pretty slow, but compared to the rest of the field, especially compared to the rest of the women I seemed to fare pretty well. I was definitely glad I had pre-ridden the course and knew what to expect. Thankfully, I was able to ride the whole course without any dismounting. That was a feat in itself!Nutrition: I had 1 Gu and 2 packs of Clif Shot Bloks. I had taped another Gu to my bike, but it fell off at about mile 2.5. I also drank 1.5 liters of water and ~ 8oz of gatorade.

T2-- 2:09
Pretty uneventful. Would have liked to be under 2min, but my stuff had been kinda kicked around a bit by either myself or others around me.

Run-- 2:13:06
I actually felt pretty good on the run. I was surprised my legs weren't more spent. I ran the whole thing minus walking through 2 or 3 aid stations. I brought 3 GUs with me, but only used 2. I drank water at every aid station, poured some over my head, and had gatorade at 1 aid station. Oh, and I had to stop and pee at the turnaround on the run, so that set me back about 1-2 minutes. I was glad I had to pee though, so I knew I was staying hydrated.

Overall, this was a very challenging course. I'm not sure it was the greatest choice for a first time HIM, but I finished it nonetheless and was stoked to have broken 7 hours.

9 comments:

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Congratulations on finishing a very challenging half-Ironman race. You'll never forget your first.

Also, thank you for the kind mentions on you last two shows.

Stay tuned...

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! Glad to hear that everything went well and sounds like you had a kick-ass race!

I haven't listened to the latest episode, but it is queued up for tomorrow's commute. Nice job. You are a rock star.

liz said...

awesome, Cara ! i love reading your race reports. sounds like you had a pretty kick-ass season. can't wait to hear the podcast. :-)

Kate said...

Good job girl! My first half IM is going to be next year and I am already nervous. 7 hours would be great, I just want to finish!

Tri hippo said...

Hey Neighbor..


I was taking photo's at the griskus OLY i should have some for your site. I tok quite a few pictures of the sharks..

shoot me a e-mail

Tri hippo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SixTwoThree said...

Congrats on your first HIM. Next year it's my turn Woman!

Tri hippo said...

OK I figured how to leave my e-mail on my profile...

Marci said...

Cara! Hey you finished what seemed to be a very tough half iron, so congrats!